For the study 72 patients were divided into two groups. Their anxiety levels were evaluated and then the study group was given a handkerchief with lavendula oil to inhale for twenty minutes. The control group was given a handkerchief with water on it.
Results showed, “The average of anxiety level in inhalation aromatherapy group decreased from 51.00 to 38.61 from before to after the intervention. This average in the inhalation group with placebo was 50.67 before the intervention and decreased to 49.53 after the intervention.”
The study concluded that inhaling essential oils is an effective way to reduce anxiety. You can read the study for details.
We all have anxiety at some time or another, even when we’re not facing surgery. Diffusing essential oils more conveniently with a Terra Cotta Pendant makes so much sense! And don’t take this on faith – try for yourself to see what impact inhaling different essential oils has on you, on your children or other family members. Use this Rating Form to evaluate and measure response to inhaling essential oils. You can make up your own questions – or start with these.
The Rating Form
- On a scale of 1 – 10, with 10 being very happy, how are you feeling at the moment?
- On a scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being very high energy, rate your energy level right now.
- On a scale of 1 – 10, with 10 being the most confident, how optimistic are you feeling about your life?
- On a scale of 1 – 10, with 10 being the most peaceful, how are you feeling right now?
- On a scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being the most pain-free, please rate your aches and pain right now.
- On a scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being the most clear, please rate your mental clarity at the moment.
Rate these six factors before wearing an essential oil on a pendant and then, a day later, rate them again without looking at the numbers you provided initially. You may surprise yourself! The Rating Form can also be used to check your response or your children’s responses to different essential oils to determine which one delivers the desired effects. (You may want to re-word the questions for children!)
Have you found essential oils reduce anxiety for yourself or for your loved ones? How do you measure that response? Which oils are especially calming for you?
Photo Credit: Inspire Kelly